Tuesday, March 5, 2013

First real Letter

I debated what to do with this letter but I decided to include the whole thing for your purusal... forgive my having to type the whole thing. I have tried to keep it as close to how he wrote it as I could. So here goes and ... it is long! Hello Everyone! Here is my official first letter to all of the world as to how I am doing. To recap all of the time I have been on a mission we will start with day 1. February 6th: I got to the MTC, never to see my phone, or family again for the next two years. Excited and bewildered, I got out of the car, hugged everyone there (Molly, Matt, Gram!, my mom, and said goodbye to the chitlens. My heart raced as we went from place to place, unsewing the front pocket in my coat, and thanks to the lady with the seam ripper I now have an official hole in the pocket lining. Oh well. It will make it. The rest of the day we had a fireside kind of thing. They made us stand for where we were from. They told us that we were the first to be in the MTC 12 yes thats twelve days. And then we were shipped off to class rooms where we finihsed our week long day. Feb 7th: (keep up now) Day 2. We awoke after having met our companions the day before, we met our room mates that night and finished off with sleep. Day 2 started with class at 7:00 and we went until breakfast at 8:00 then, back to the class rooms for several hours until about 12:30 when they finally let us eat some lunch. Then back to class for another few hours until dinner at 17:30. Oh yay!... NOT! The day wan't over yet. After spending all day in that class room... Guess what! More class time. Yes... right up until 21 frekin 30! Ugh. I really dislike long days with a passion. When we got back to our "residences" at 21:30 we learned a new rule. Get this... No singing in the MTC! How am I suppose to make that happen? I had my ipod blasting in my head only two days before ALL DAY LONG!! If you can't tell... that rule was extremely hard to keep. We all want to sing and them telling us no was really hard. The day was really long and everything that happened that day was exciting and frustrating all at once. Days 3 and 4: Friday and Saturday were about the same. We got up that morning (friday) and began in the classroom as usual (by now anyway) and studied. After breakfast we studied more and then had some classroom instruction time. About the only thing that changed was we had meetings with our Branch President because they forgot the night before. (The forgetting thing happens more and more as time goes by I promise) The next best/worst thing that happened that day occured just before bed at about 21:30. Mail came! Personally I didn't see anything but my companion (who is a way cool guy) Got 3 packages, 4 letters and about 6 DEAR ELDER'S. It was way cool that he got as much as he did! He has some serious love going on there! So, now on to DAY 4. It all happened the same short of the mail. The Branch Presidency forgot about us again, so we were not only late to most all of our meetings but, we were unprepared too. (the whole forgetting thing gets really old, really fast) Day 5: Sunday. So, Sunday was a new experience. After all of our continueous studying, we were told to be at Sacrament Meeting an hour earlier because the Presidency needed to leave early. They forgot to mention that we were supposed to go to our other meetings an hour early as well and that they started in enought time to be there. We kept studying and when they did come get us, we were scolded for not being there. I officially love communication. When it is effective, things go well, when its not, you generally end up in trouble someone else puts you in. Its Great! (with a touch of sarcasm there!) The day then ended and we went on with life. Days 6-12: Beyond all the times I wont mention being forgotten this week, things went fairly smoothly. Gym is cool but nowhere near long enough, the food tasted great but dang I gained 2 inches around my waist in 12 DAYS!. Not cool. Day 13: Monday. THis is the day we enter the mission field. It was way cool! We left that morning about 6:00 and headed for the airport. That was entertaining. Security is cool... no stops there. next was into the terminal to wait. I called home and talked for about 15 minutes. Which was cool to hear my mom's voice. Things went pretty smoothly from there, we took an almost chartered jet from there to Tucson. I say almost chartered because there were 50 total seats on the plane and 29 of them were missionaries. Yeah. The Lord is hastening his work. When we arrived, it was a balmy 75 or so degrees outside and beautiful. Going from 20 to 75 really is awesome. It was really nice. After getting here, we went to the Mormon Batallion monument, which was cool, we took pictures there and then went to the Mission Office where we had lunch, and spent most of the rest of our day. After doing so, we went to the mission home where we had dinner, had a testimony meeting of sorts and then split and went to where we were supposed to sleep. There were 4 of us who stuck together throughout the MTC, and then through that night who had been the only 4 in our classroom who were going to Tucson the rest of the 12 (so the other 8) went to the Dallas Texas mission. Day 14: This was the day we found out who our Trainers were, and the area we were supposed to serve in for about 12 weeks (2 transfers) and be trained to do what missionaries do. This was also Preparation Day so we went shopping, emailed parents and just did P-Day things. The day ended pretty well, just another day. Day 15 - what ever today happens to be: I bought a bike some time on Saturday, ordered it on thursday. It is a Specialized Hardrock with disc brakes. It's green (kawasaki green) black and white. I bought a helmet and the coolest lock ever! The lock rolls up into a cylindar about the thickness of 2 hocky pucks thick (they call it the puck) Then the weekend hit and then monday came! P-Day was sweet! We went hiking today and it was awesome! We spent about 2 hours and 45 or so minutes round trip. We reached the summit just as the sun began to rise over the Eastern Horizon. It was truly a beautiful sight. We met some families later on in the after noon and one of them is like Uncle Zane! The one man we met is really cool. He is very skilled in Martial Arts. He also knows a lot of really cool health tips. So there you go! The summary over all is that the first few days both in the MTC and the field are slow, but then they begin to fly by. All things are good here. I have learned to make fresh bread, and tie a necktie in 5 seconds so there's that. Hope everyone is doing well! Please send letters! They are more of a support than you know! Just don't feel bad if it takes me a while to send one back. There isn't a whole lot of time in my day. I love you all dearly! Elder Klynton Frederick

No comments: